Warwick Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.

A boat owner told police he put his boat in storage at the Pettis Boat Yard on Baylawn Avenue in November and came back on March 10 to find that everything was in order as he was preparing the boat for the season. But, he said he came back on March 15 and found that the cockpit had not been locked and someone had entered his boat and stole 2 50-foot, 30-amp power cords that cost $200 and a 120-volt 30-amp converter and a 100-foot heavy-duty extension cord from the boat worth a total of $165. The owner of the yard told police he had no surveillance cameras and there were no witnesses or suspects.

A Boylston Street resident called police on March 14 to report that her yellow and black 1998 Yamaha Warrior ATV was gone. She said she checked with her son and no one in the family took it or gave someone else permission to use the ATV. No suspects or witnesses.

A Greenwich Avenue woman told police she noticed that the GPS units in her car and her mother’s car went missing sometime over night on March 19. There was no damage to the vehicles reported. No suspects.
A resident of an apartment building on Warner Brook Drive told police a laptop and several other electronic devices, including a hard drive, a computer mouse, cables and accessories he kept in a backpack went missing overnight on March 18. He told police he was certain that he locked his Honda Ridgeline the night before but there was no apparent damage to the vehicle to indicate forcible entry. No witnesses.

Two digital cameras and an iPod docking station were gone from a vehicle belonging to a Massachusetts man who was staying at the Crowne Plaza on March 18. Police said the windows to the van were smashed and many wedding gifts that had been left in the van were missing, along with his wife’s purse, which had been left under the passenger seat. No idea yet about the value of all the missing stuff. There was no surveillance that covers the area where the van was parked.

A Providence woman who was staying at the Motel 6 on Jefferson Boulevard on March 19 was smashed sometime between 10 p.m. and 1 p.m. while she was in the motel. She told police she found the broken window to her rented 2010 Honda and said a $200 Coach handbag and a Nintendo 3DS system were gone. No witnesses or suspects.

A Church Avenue homeowner told police she noticed that there were several tools missing from a shed to the rear of her when she went to the shed the morning of March 16. A heat gun, a hammer drill and a ladder worth a total of $400 could not be found and she could not supply serial numbers for the missing items. No witnesses.

Officer Joshua Myer stopped a car he saw drifting repeatedly into the breakdown lane on East Avenue near CCRI on March 10 around 2:55 a.m. He said he pulled it over near the intersection of Main Avenue and Alvin Street. He said the driver appeared to be intoxicated and smelled of alcohol. He said the driver produced a Rhode Island State ID and explained that his driver’s license was suspended. He said he asked the driver to get out of the car for a field sobriety test and saw that the driver had to hold onto the car to avoid falling. He said the man failed the sobriety test, even after he was allowed to do it with his shoes off. Michael C. Stoves, 26, of 815 Sandy Lane in Warwick was taken to headquarters where he refused to take a breath test because he said he wasn’t drunk and he “did not believe in Breathalyzer machines.” He was charged with DUI, third offense, refusal, third offense, and driving on a suspended license for the third time. He was held for the next session of District Court.

Officer William DiGiulio reported he was just exiting the parking lot at headquarters around 12:20 a.m. on March when he saw a gray Nissan barely miss hitting another car as it rounded Apponaug the wrong way and then stopped at the Payless Auto Glass parking lot on Post Road. He said he got out of his cruiser and was approaching the car when he noticed it was rolling backward toward his cruiser. He told the woman that the car was in reverse and was heading for his squad car and she told him the car was in park and her foot was on the brake. He said it turned out she was in neutral and pulled up her emergency brake. He said she appeared to be drunk and smelled of alcohol and failed a field sobriety test. Adrienne N. West, 40, of 50 Carman St. in Cranston was taken to headquarters where she registered a .215 and .197 blood alcohol content on the breath test. She was charged with DUI and going the wrong way on a one-way street and was later released to a sober adult.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment