Warwick Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.

A Pontiac Street woman told police she parked her car in front around 7 p.m. on March 31 and returned around 9:30 the next morning and found her windshield smashed and two cement bricks sitting in the passenger seat of the car. She said she had no idea who would do it.

Police went to the Sears store in the Rhode Island Mall for a malicious damage report. The loss prevention manager told police they found a number of items had burns on them and it was clear that the damage was intentional. Police said a seat cushion kit for an outdoor chair had a sizable burn in it, which rendered it unfit for sale. They also had two crochet sets that were burned beyond salability. The loss prevention manager told him there was no surveillance where those items were located. No suspects or witnesses.

Officer Joseph Petrarca reported that six special education buses were broken into at their maintenance building on Draper Avenue on March 31. Petrarca said windshields, windows and taillights on the buses were broken and the doors on some of them were ajar and there were contents of all the buses’ first aid kits strewn about the yard. The director of buildings for the schools told Petrarca the buses were not functioning and were slated to go to auction in the near future. Petrarca said some of the damage was pre-existing but the broken glass on the ground indicated that much of it was recent. He said there were several footprints found in the mud and grass and BCI was called and took several items to be processed for fingerprints. There were no suspects or witnesses but, because of the severity of the damage, the school department did want the perpetrators to be prosecuted.

Officer Christopher Fernandes reported he was on patrol around 12:30 a.m. on March 26 when he saw a person he knew from prior contacts walking on Oakland Beach Avenue. He said he continued his patrol and later saw the subject in the area of the Oakland Beach School walking north. He said he saw the subject look back at his cruiser and then veer off the street toward the entrance of the Boys and Girls Club. Fernandes said he pulled into the U-shaped driveway and got out of his cruiser to speak with the subject. He said he asked the subject how he was doing and he replied he was fine and then noticed a strong odor of marijuana coming from the subject. Then, said Fernandes, a car pulled up abruptly behind the cruiser and a man jumped out and said, “Grab that kid,” and then said “that kid just tried to break into my car.” The man explained that there had been a number of larcenies from cars on Coburn Street and neighbors have been keeping their eyes open. He said he saw the subject near his car and he was pulling at the door of the car before the man yelled and the subject ran. Fernandes said he detained the subject and patted him down. He said he found two baggies of what turned out to be marijuana. He said the backpack he carried held a pair of sunglasses that appeared to be for a woman, a white and pink Fuji digital camera, 13 assorted power cords and chargers, three stereo cables, a digital scale and a glass that had what appeared to be marijuana residue on them, a silver cross, a gold heart pendant, a bracelet with charms, a set of keys, a GPS unit, a pair of Air Jordans that were too big for the subject and a pair of kids’ Nike sneakers that were too small for him and a black CD case with assorted CDs and Spanish writing on it. Trevor A. Difilippo, 19, of 2195 Warwick Ave. was charged with attempted larceny and possession of marijuana.

Officer Jason Brodeur reported he was dispatched to Fat Belly’s Pub on Lambert Lind Highway around 9:25 p.m. on March 17 for a report of an intoxicated male who was attempting to drive. Brodeur said he arrived to find a witness outside the pub that was waving her arms and pointing to a silver pickup truck that was heading toward Route 5. Brodeur said he caught up with the truck and pulled it over. He said the driver appeared to be drunk and smelled strongly of alcohol but told Brodeur he had not been drinking. He said he asked the driver to take a field sobriety test but he refused. He said the driver was swaying from side to side at the time. He arrested the driver on suspicion of drunk driving and took him to headquarters where he refused to take a breath test. Fred A. Galipeau, 44, was charged with felony DUI and refusal. He was held for District Court and held on $5,000 surety bail because of prior DUI convictions in 2009 and 2011.

Officer Matthew Moretti reported he followed a Jeep around 9:31 p.m. on March 28 after he saw the vehicle exit the Rocky Point Pub parking lot and almost hit a car in the intersection that had to stop suddenly to avoid a collision. He said he followed it onto Warwick Neck Avenue and stopped it after it left its own lane of travel over the white fog line. He said the driver appeared to be intoxicated and smelled of alcohol. He said the driver didn’t pass a field sobriety test and blew a .157 blood alcohol content (BAC) on the portable breath analyzer. He was arrested and taken to headquarters where he blew a .167 and a .181 BAC on the Breathalyzer. Matthew R. Thomas, 29, of 28 Progress St. was charged with DUI and possession of marijuana for the leafy substance that tested positive. He was transported to Kent Hospital for detox because he could not reach a sober adult to take custody of him.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment