Charges filed as probe of shooting continues Police have charged a man who is said to have returned fire at a gunman during a July 22 shooting incident on Harris Avenue, as well as one of the people shot during the incident for allegedly refusing to
Police have charged a man who is said to have returned fire at a gunman during a July 22 shooting incident on Harris Avenue, as well as one of the people shot during the incident for allegedly refusing to cooperate with investigators.
Angelo J. Lucchetti, 24, of 48 Harris Ave. is charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, license or permit required for carrying a pistol, and firing in a compact area.
Police say Lucchetti was arrested July 30 on Cranston Street. Online court records indicate he entered no plea during his arraignment that day in Third Division District Court, and his bail was set at $100,000 with surety. He is next due to appear in court on Sept. 23.
On Tuesdy, Cranston Police Maj. Todd Patalano confirmed Luchetti is being held without bail as a probation violator in an earlier case.
Patalano also said 44-year-old Melissa Luchetti, Angelo Luchetti’s mother, has been charged with obstruction.
“She didn’t cooperate in the investigation,” the major said. Melissa Luchetti was arrested July 30 and is also due back in court Sept. 30, he said.
Patalano said police continue to pursue leads in the July 22 incident, in which a man is said to have approached the Harris Avenue home on foot and fired several rounds, striking two people who were hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries and later released.
Patalano previously told the Herald the incident police did not view the incident as random, nor was it thought to be linked to a September 2020 shooting death on the same street.
ON TARGET: Work on the Park Avenue railroad bridge demolition and replacement project is seen in this image provided by the Rhode Island Department of Transportation. Officials say the project remains on budget and in scheduled to be completed within weeks.
Work to replaced the bridge carrying Park Avenue over the railroad tracks between Wellington and Elmwood avenues remains on track to wrap up within weeks, according to the Rhode Island Department of Transportation.
“The project is on schedule and on budget, with the reopening of the bridge expected in early September,” DOT spokesman Charles St. Martin wrote in an email Tuesday. “The schedule is weather-dependent. The schedule also is dependent on the availability of Amtrak to shut down train service during construction, which typically happens during the overnight hours.”
The roughly 115-year-old bridge, which state officials say carries approximately 15,000 vehicles each day, has long been deemed structurally deficient. In summer 2015, it was abruptly closed for repairs following an inspection that found issues with its wooden deck.
Now, the bridge is being completely demolished and replaced at a cost of roughly $11.7 million. It has been closed to all traffic since May, requiring commuters to use other routes, including a formal detour that travels along Wellington and Elmwood avenues. A RIPTA shuttle has been in service along the detour route since the May closure of the bridge. At the time of the closure, state officials said it would last roughly four months.
The reopening of the bridge will be a welcome for Cranston Public Schools and local families as the opening of the school year nears. Business situated near the bridge on Park Avenue, meanwhile, have remained in operator, in a portion of the street just past Wellington Avenue open for traffic to those establishments.