Police Log - Bank robbery



On Sunday July 2 at 1:17 p.m., Warwick Police responded to the TD Bank located at 2625 West Shore Road for a report of a male subject who had entered the bank and passed a note demanding money. 

According to a press release, the suspect stated he had a gun, although none was displayed. He was described as a white male, medium complexion, approximately 5’7”, medium build, and wearing a light colored t-shirt and dark colored pants. He then exited the bank with an undisclosed amount of money, leaving in a green sedan. An extensive area search was conducted by members of the Warwick Police Department. Video surveillance captured an image of the suspect. 

Anyone with additional information should contact the Warwick Police Department Detective Division at (401) 468-4233 or Detective Christopher Lo at (401) 468-4273.


At 12:27 p.m. on Sunday July 2, police responded to the area of Oakland Beach Ave. and Gordon Ave. for a report of a crash involving a variable message board trailer, owned by the City of Warwick.  

The variable message board was being used to provide messages for community events. According to a press release, the board was deployed in the south breakdown lane of Oakland Beach Ave. near the elementary school to alert motorists of the impending fireworks show at Oakland Beach. An unknown vehicle, possibly green or teal in color, veered off the roadway and struck the message board destroying it.

The vehicle fled the scene in an unknown direction. Traffic was moderate at the time of the accident, and no witnesses have come forward with information. The Warwick Police Department Accident Reconstruction Team is investigating

Any person with information related to the accident is requested to contact Sgt. John Kelly or the Warwick Police Department Traffic Division at (401) 468-4293.


Timothy Reilly, 69, of 31 Oniska Street in Warwick, who recently told officers “Quite honestly, I may have had too much to drink,” was arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence.

On June 23 at approximately 9:17 p.m., Officers Gavin McVeigh and Ali M. Jaafar were dispatched to Warwick Avenue for a report of a possible impaired driver. The reporting party stated that the green, older model car ran multiple red lights and was swerving in and out of its lane.

The officers began heading north on Warwick Avenue from the Oakland Beach area. While at the Sandy Lane intersection, the officers observed a green older model Buick that had a headlight out. They made a U-turn and proceeded to follow the car. While following, the officers saw the driver perform multiple roadway violations by leaving the lane of travel, and had its right turn signal on for an extended period without turning.

A traffic stop was initiated, and contact was made with Reilly, who showed signs of intoxication. He told officers that he drank approximately half a bottle of wine celebrating his son’s birthday. Reilly was then asked to step from his vehicle, where he consented to partake in a series of standardized sobriety tests. He said he was not going to be able to do the tests because he had consumed alcohol.

Based upon Reilly’s performance and the officers’ observations, it was determined that he was unfit to operate a motor vehicle safely. He was taken into custody and transported to police headquarters. There he took a chemical breathalyzer test, which produced readings of 0.174 and 0.167 as a blood alcohol content.

Reilly was charged with driving under the influence, first offense, and later transported to Kent Hospital due to his inability to contact a sober adult to retrieve him.


On June 23 at approximately 11:09 pm, Officer David Boardman was dispatched to the area of Jefferson Boulevard and Main Avenue for a two-car accident involving injuries.

According to his report, at the scene the officer observed a Toyota Camry, which looked to be unattended with extensive front-end damage. A witness stated to the officer “Quick, the man who drove that car is trying to get away.”

Officer Boardman then observed a man, later identified as Juan Muriel, 41, of 38 Winthrop Avenue in Providence, stumbling away. Muriel was apprehended and brought to the police cruiser for questioning.

The officer immediately detected signs of intoxication while speaking with Muriel, who stated that he did not have anything to drink that evening. He then consented to a series of sobriety tests. Based upon the officer’s training and interactions with the suspect, a determination was made that Muriel was unfit to operate a motor vehicle safely. He was taken into custody and transported to police headquarters, where he took a chemical breathalyzer test that produced blood alcohol readings of 0.213 and 0.230 percent.

Muriel was issued a citation for driving under the influence first offence, duty to stop-accident resulting, and damage to an attended vehicle. He was later released to a sober adult.


Officer Sokphannareth Chea was dispatched to a Myrtle Avenue residence on June 26 at approximately 5:36 p.m. for a report of a larceny from a motor vehicle. 

At the residence he met with the reporting party, who stated that at some time between June 25 at 7 p.m. and 7:45 a.m. the next morning, several items had been stolen from his pickup truck. The man told the officer that he had parked his truck in his driveway, however the vehicle was unlocked.

 Missing from the truck was a wallet which contained two debit cards and his driver’s license. He also advised that the cards had been used fraudulently at Savers and Lowes in Cranston. Currently there are no suspects or witnesses, and the case was forwarded to detectives for review.


On June 25 at approximately 9:54 a.m., Officer Tyler Stone responded to Old Warwick Avenue for a report of damage to a vehicle.

At the scene he spoke with the vehicle’s owner, who reported that the front passenger window on her SUV had been shattered during the overnight hours. The officer observed that the window had been completely smashed out. Nothing in the car had been stolen or disturbed, according to the complainant.

The officer was unable to locate the instrument used to cause the damage. The woman also stated that the car had been unlocked. She also reported that her mother heard the house doorbell ring at approximately 3 a.m. but that nobody was outside. The victim stated that she had no suspects in mind and that she didn’t have any issues with any neighbors. There are currently no leads.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment