Police Log



A Massachusetts Avenue man told police he returned to his car the morning of Jan. 18 and found the back window of his 2006 Hyundai Tucson was smashed. He said he had little contact with his neighbors and is not aware of any problems with them or anyone else at this time. Officer James Vible said he inspected the smashed glass in the back and found remnants of a glass bottle with pieces of a Hennessy Cognac label among the fragments. It appeared the bottle was used to smash the glass. Vible said he collected some of the pieces of the bottle to be checked out by detectives.

The owners of the A Plus Tailors and Cleaners on West Natick Road told police they came to work around 8 a.m. on Jan. 14 and found the window next to the front door smashed. Office Eric Lima reported it appeared to have been done in with a baseball bat. He said the owners didn’t find that anything was taken from the business and that he didn’t know or suspect who could have done it or why. No witnesses.


Officer Matthew Moretti reported he was dispatched to Marlborough St. for a report of someone taking items from a plumbing and heating business. He said the caller told dispatch a man was carrying things out of the rear of Del Tufo Plumbing and Heating at 88 Marlborough and, as Moretti turned into the street, he saw a man walking from the rear of the business and detained, searched and placed the man in his cruiser while he spoke with the caller. The caller told him he was a relative of Del Tufo and he was aware that people had been stealing copper from the rear of the building recently. He said he heard noises coming from the business and looked out to see someone rolling a city trash bin from behind the business to a two-tone Ford Bronco. He said he heard clinking inside the bin that sounded like metal pipes that were unloaded into the Bronco. Moretti said he looked into the Bronco parked beside the business and saw some old pipes and fittings, a small and a large hot water tank and some copper pipe. He said he asked the man in his cruiser if that was his Bronco and he said it was. He said he asked him if the objects inside belonged to him and again he said yes. Moretti said he read the man his rights and asked him if he could inspect the things in the Bronco and the man declined and said there was no need to because the items belonged to him. He said the owner of the plumbing business arrived and identified the objects in the Bronco as his property. Dorian S. Larosa, 20, of 1030 Ives Rd., was charged with larceny under $1,500 and later released on $1,000 surety bail. (Court records showed that Larosa pleaded no contest to larceny and vandalism in Richman in February of last year and was sentenced to 30 hours of community service and restitution.)


Officer Jason Brodeur was dispatched to the Walmart store at Rhode Island Mall on Jan. 14 to take custody of a shoplifting suspect. Loss prevention told Brodeur they observed the suspect select a number of items and conceal them before leaving the store without paying for them. David Harootunian, 52, of 55 Cleveland St., West Warwick, was charged with stealing a blender, a thermos bottle, a pair of jeans and a camera case worth a total of $70.56.


Officer Javier Cabreja reported stopping a Jeep he saw traveling on Sandy Lane around 12:15 a.m. on Jan. 7. He said he turned around to follow the Jeep and saw it cross over the lane markers and the centerline and followed it to 90 Alfred St. and abruptly pulled into the driveway, giving Cabreja the impression he was trying to evade him. He said he saw the driver get out of the car and stagger toward the front door and ordered him to get back in the car, and once he complied he approached him and got his papers. He said the driver smelled of alcohol and appeared to be intoxicated. He said he then asked him if he lived in the house and he said he did not and he didn’t know who did. He admitted he was trying to ditch Cabreja after he spotted him following him on Sandy Lane. He said the driver failed a field sobriety test and was taken to headquarters, where he blew a .110 and a .108 blood alcohol content on the breath test. Brenton Leach, 22, of 39 Pinegrove Ave., Warwick, was charged with DUI, driving on a suspended license, driving an unregistered car, lane roadway violations and driving without lights at night.

Officer John Curley reported he was on patrol on Post Road around 12:20 a.m. on Jan. 12 when a car pulled out of Belair Drive (Tavern Twelve) and hit him in the front driver’s side of his cruiser. He said the impact sent his cruiser right into the Airport fence. He said he immediately called for more units. He said his door was stuck shut but he managed to kick it open and got out. He said he approached the pickup truck that hit him and heard the driver say, “Oh my God!” He said the driver smelled of alcohol and appeared to be drunk. He said none of the four occupants in the pickup appeared to be injured and he asked the driver to take a field sobriety test, which he failed. He said, according to his experience and training, he deemed the driver unfit to operate a motor vehicle. He asked him if he would take a preliminary portable breath analyzer test and he refused. Matthew F. Griswold, 29, of 920 Park Ave., Cranston, was arrested and taken to headquarters, where he refused to take a breath test. He was charged with refusal, DUI, no evidence of insurance and failing to yield the right of way.

Officer Stephen Major reported he was on a DUI detail around 1 a.m. on Jan. 11 near the 1500 block of Bald Hill Road when he saw a Jeep pull into the rear parking lot of a business that had been closed for a number of years. He said he put his spotlight on the Jeep and it attempted to exit the lot until Major hit his air horn and it stopped. He said the Jeep had a Rhode Island plate but the driver had a Massachusetts license. He said he asked the man what he was doing in the parking lot of a closed business and noticed that the man appeared to be under the influence, with bloodshot and watery eyes and a smell of alcohol about him. He said he asked him where he was coming from and he said he couldn’t remember but he was “trying to get home to Fall River.” He said he gave the driver a field sobriety test and he failed it. Cliff Andrade, 31, of 4801 North Main St., Fall River, was taken to headquarters, where he refused to take a breath test. He was issued a summons for DUI and refusal and waited for his wife, a sober adult, to “claim him.”

Officer Adam Arico reported he was on patrol around 12:35 a.m. on Jan. 13 when he clocked a pickup doing 70 miles per hour on West Shore Road. He said he turned around and said he saw the pickup swerve across several lanes and the centerline as it continued at 65 to 70 miles per hour. He said the car pulled over near 600 West Shore. He said the driver smelled strongly of alcohol and appeared to be under the influence. He said he found out that the driver’s license was suspended and he had the driver submit to a field sobriety test. He said the driver failed the test and was taken to headquarters, where he refused to take a breath test. He said Felipe J. De La Roca, 38, of 119 Pender St., Warwick, was charged with DUI, refusal, speeding, laned roadway violations and driving on a suspended license and later released to a sober adult.


1 comment on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment

...blender, thermos, jeans and a camera case for $70.56?

What, was the dude stealing with coupons? :)

Wednesday, January 29, 2014