Police log - Slashed tires



On May 12 around 5:10 p.m., Officers Javier Cabreja and Brian Murray were dispatched to the Bald Hill Road Walmart for a report of a shoplifting in progress. While en route to the call, dispatch advised that the suspect were male and female and provided a license plate number for the vehicle that the two had arrived in.

Once on scene, the officers found that the suspects were still in the store. The woman suspect had a shopping cart and had finished purchasing some of the items that were in the cart. She had used the self-checkout and omitted paying for some of the items. The officers then made contact with the two suspects, identified as Alexis Leech, 32, of 29 Spring St. in West Warwick and Christopher Winsor, 31, of the same address.

A member of the store’s loss prevention team provided the officers a written report of the allegations against Leech, who according to the report was a known shoplifter at this location and at the store in Coventry. After using the self-checkout and exiting the store, she was stopped and brought back inside, where $35.97 of unpaid merchandise was recovered. Walmart employees indicated that they wished to press charges.

Leech was then placed under arrest for shoplifting. She was placed in handcuffs, placed into a cruiser, and transported to police headquarters. She was later released with a Third District Court summons. Windsor was advised that a no trespass order had been issued against him, and that he was not to return to the store.


At approximately 5:21 p.m. on May 17, Officer Britton Kelly was dispatched to the Warwick Avenue Haxton’s West Bay Liquors for a report of a shoplifting that had occurred earlier in the evening.

At the store he met with a manager, who stated she observed a woman in her late 20s enter the establishment with an open backpack. She then exited a few minutes later without making a purchase. Upon reviewing security footage, the manager observed the same suspect take a bottle of New Amsterdam gin, valued at $19.98, from a display and then placed the bottle into her backpack. She then walked out of the store without paying.

The manager did not know the identity of the suspect, and the store provided a copy of the video surveillance. The report was later forwarded to detectives for review.


While on patrol on May 16 around 9:07 p.m., Sergeant Bob Hart had relayed a call of a motor vehicle accident without injuries. He advised that a vehicle had driven off a wall at the intersection of Elmwood Avenue and Second Avenue. A second car was requested for assistance, as it was believed that the driver involved was intoxicated, and Officer Walter Larson responded.

When Officer Larson arrived, he reportedly observed a black Hyundai that had one tire over the wall. Sergeant Hart advised that the suspect, identified as Christina Rose, 40, of 50 Winton St. in Cranston, was the driver and that he believed she was intoxicated. Officer Larson then observed Rose and also detected signs of intoxication and the smell of alcohol emanating from her person.

Rose stated that she was coming from Miller’s in Cranston, and that she was looking for her pocketbook and wallet. She then agreed to partake in a series of field sobriety tests, but then later told the officer that she would refuse any further tests. She was then placed under arrest and transported to police headquarters. There, she refused to take a chemical breathalyzer test. She was charged with suspicion of driving under the influence, first offense, and refusal to submit to a chemical test. She was later released.


Officer Britton Kelly was dispatched to the Post Road Papa John’s Pizza on May 17 at approximately 9 a.m. for a larceny report.

At the scene the officer met with the victim, who stated that between 8:30 and 9 a.m. someone went into the cab of his work delivery vehicle and stole his iPhone off of the dashboard. He stated that he and his assistant were delivering items to the restaurant and most of their time was spent in the trailer of the 18-wheeler. When he got back into the cab, he noticed the phone was missing.

The driver said he never had problems before making deliveries, and as such he does not usually lock his door. The assistant told the officer that a blue Ford crew cab pickup truck with Florida registration had driven around the driver’s side of the work vehicle and circled around before driving away. They were unsure if that was the suspect, but it was the only vehicle they had noticed nearby.

The phone was described as an Apple 5S with an orange and camouflaged case. The man indicated that he wished to press charges if a suspect is found. A copy of the case was then forwarded to department detectives.


On May 17 at approximately 6:13 p.m., Officer Britton Kelley was dispatched to Longmeadow Avenue for a vandalism report.

Upon arrival he met with the complainant, who stated that on May 16 at approximately 8:15 a.m. she came outside to find that her front passenger side tire had been slashed. She said that a friend came by to inflate the tire, which was when it was determined that there was a slash in the tire’s sidewall. There was no evidence that she ran over anything that would have caused the slash. The woman said she wished to press charges if a suspect was found, and a copy of the report was forwarded to detectives for review.


Officer Justin Martin was dispatched to the Greenwich Avenue Lowe’s on May 18 at approximately 5:41 p.m. for a report of a larceny from a vehicle.

At the store he met with the reporting party, who said he entered the parking lot around 5:30 p.m. and parked in front of the garden center near the carriage holder. He did not notice any other vehicles parked near his. He said he went into the store for two minutes to use the bathroom, and when he returned he found that a side window had been smashed.

After inspecting the vehicle, he realized that multiple tools had been taken from the rear of his cargo van. He estimated the total value of the missing tools to be around $1,000, and the damage to his van to be around $200.

Officer Martin then visited the store to speak with loss prevention about obtaining surveillance footage of the incident. The case was then forwarded to detectives for review.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment