Why Sen. Walaska should leave ALEC


To the Editor:

It recently came to light that more than 20 percent of Rhode Island state lawmakers are members of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), and that taxpayers are paying their dues.
ALEC is the right-wing group funded by corporations and special interests that drafts model legislation to push conservative ideology in state legislatures. I was disappointed to find my senator, Sen. William Walaska, listed as a current member of ALEC. Sen. Walaska has been a leader on climate change and renewable energy on Smith Hill. Yet, ALEC has prioritized fighting climate change legislation, including drafting legislation to pull states out of the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative, of which Rhode Island is a participant. Recently, ALEC announced it will be targeting state renewable energy targets.
ALEC’s commitment to impeding and undoing any efforts that fight climate change or promote renewable energy contrasts sharply with Sen. Walaska’s notable environmental efforts. Sen. Walaska should withdraw his membership from this organization and encourage his colleagues to do the same.

Evan R. Ross


1 comment on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment

Evan...we can't fight climate change. And, have you ever heard of throwing the baby out with the bath water? Why does an organziation have to be perfect? If 79% of thier model legislation was to Walaska's liking, why should he abandon them due to the other 21%? Another liberal moonbat.

Thursday, May 10, 2012