Police Log - Stolen hubcaps



On September 22 at approximately 12:12 p.m., Officer Matthew Higgins was on a Click It or Ticket detail in the area of Bald Hill Road and East Avenue. There he observed a driver not wearing his seat belt, and initiated a traffic stop.

Contact was made with the driver, later identified as Zhongyuan He, 30, of 40 Wain Street in Cranston. Upon running checks on He, it was found that his driver’s license was suspended. According to the report He stated that he was driving because he only planned on being in Rhode Island for a short time before moving back to China.

He was issued a violation for no seat belt as well as a summons for driving on a suspended license first offense. His car was then parked on private property for removal at a later time.

Officer Higgins then moved to the area of Centerville Road and Inskip Way. Around 3 p.m. he again observed a driver not wearing his seat belt. He conducted a stop and met with Kyle Pomeranz, 22, of 48 East Street in West Warwick, who did not hive his license with him. He provided the officer with his driver’s license number and Social Security number. Background checks then revealed that his license was suspended.

Pomeranz was issued a violation for not wearing a seat belt and driving on a suspended license. His car was driven from the scene by the registered owner, who had an active license.


Officer Alfred Silveira was on routine patrol traveling north on Warwick Avenue on September 23 around 12:37 a.m. when he observed a red Nissan Morano driving at a high rate of speed in the middle of both southbound lanes. According to the officer’s account, the vehicle was traveling well above the 35 mile per hour posted speed limit, and a radar reading showed the vehicle traveling at 56 miles per hour.

Officer Silveira attempted to conduct a traffic stop, and eventually the car pulled over halfway down Old Warwick Neck Avenue. Prior to exiting his cruiser, the officer then observed the car continue back onto the road. He followed the suspect vehicle with emergency lights and siren activated as the vehicle continued on without using turn signals. The car eventually stopped in the area of Sandy Lane and Glen Meadows Court.

Officer Silveira then met with the driver, later identified as William Lamphere, 29, of 339 South County Trail in Exeter. Lamphere stated that he did not have his license or wallet with him, and that he did not have any paperwork that the officer requested. When asked why he didn’t immediately pull over, Lamphere stated that he thought he wasn’t getting pulled over. He told the officer he was coming from his home in Exeter and that he was headed to his girlfriend’s home.

According to his report, the officer observed that Lamphere had vomitted over his jeans and shirt, and that there was vomit on the front seat as well as on the driver’s side floor. Lamphere also appeared disheveled with his belt unbuckled from his pants. As the two conversed, the officer observed a strong odor of alcohol coming from the vehicle and that Lamphere showed signs of intoxication. He told the officer that he had consumed a few beverages that evening. Other officers then arrived on scene to provide assistance, and Lamphere agreed to consent to a series of standardized sobriety tests.

Before testing began, Lamphere is alleged to have told officers “Come on Man. You know I’m (expletive) up,” but agreed to continue. Based upon his performance during the test and the officer’s observations, it was determined that Lamphere was unfit to operate a motor vehicle safely. He was arrested for the suspicion of driving under the influence and placed into a cruiser to be transported to police headquarters.

At the station, Lamphere refused to take a chemical breathalyzer test. He was charged with driving under the influence first offense, driving on a suspended license, refusal to submit to a chemical test, speeding, laned roadway violations, turn signal required, operating an unregistered motor vehicle, no insurance, and refusal to show a registration card. He was then placed in a cell to await the bail commissioner.


Officer Tyler Stone responded to the Shaw’s Supermarket on Warwick Avenue on September 25 around 4:30 p.m. for a report of stolen hubcaps.

At the scene he spoke with the victim, who stated that between approximately 3:20 and 3:30 p.m. all four hubcaps had been stolen off of his car. She stated that she discovered the theft when an unknown party reported witnessing the theft to the help desk at Shaw’s. The party only said it was a white truck but didn’t have any other specifics nor did they leave a name.

The vehicle owner described the hubcaps as plastic, silver colored, five spoke Toyota Brand with a Toyota symbol in the middle. She said she had no idea who may have taken the caps, but wished to press charges if a suspect was found.


On September 26 at approximately 6:30 p.m., Officer Thomas Duncan was dispatched to the Warwick Mall Macy’s for a past shoplifting complaint. Dispatch had advised the officer that loss prevention had a subject detained, and that they were acting in an orderly manner.

At the scene the officer spoke with a member of the security team, who stated that at approximately 6 p.m. he observed a male suspect, later identified as Bryan Stevens, 30, of 246 Railroad Street in Lincoln in the men’s department. Using closed circuit television, Stevens was observed by security to have an empty Macy’s bag balled up in his hand. He was seen selecting multiple items of clothes, ripping off security tags, and concealing merchandise. He then left the store without making an attempt to pay.

Outside, Stevens was confronted by security officers and became evasive. A fight then ensued, and eventually Stevens was secured and escorted back into the store. Back inside Macy’s, $21.93 worth of merchandise was recovered. According to the report, Stevens admitted to stealing and apologized. He stated that he fought because he did not want to go to jail because he was on probation. Loss prevention stated that the store did wish to press charges and have Stevens issued a no trespass order. He was then taken into custody and transported to police headquarters, where he was processed without incident and charged with misdemeanor shoplifting.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment