Police Log

By Tim Forsberg
Posted 1/12/17

By TIM FORSBERG DISPATCH LEADS TO MARIJUANA SUMMONS On Dec. 23 at 10:18 p.m., Sergeant John Choquette and Officer Sokphannareth Chea were dispatched to 2043 Elmwood Avenue for a report that a male and a female were verbally arguing. It was determined

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Police Log



On Dec. 23 at 10:18 p.m., Sergeant John Choquette and Officer Sokphannareth Chea were dispatched to 2043 Elmwood Avenue for a report that a male and a female were verbally arguing. It was determined that no crime had occurred, it was just a verbal argument. Officers conducted checks on both parties and learned that the female subject, Kimberly Faria, 49, of Central Falls, had an active bench warrant out of the Third District Court for a failure to appear for payment. Faria was transported to Warwick Police Headquarters, where she was processed. Officers conducted an inventory of Faria’s purse and located a green leafy substance in a plastic bag that tested positive for marijuana in a field test. It weighed about 3.1 grams and was tagged as evidence. Faria was issued a summons for possession of marijuana, 1 ounce or less.

On Dec. 23, Officer Barlow responded to the Villa del Rio Apartments, 311 Greenwich Avenue, for a check the condition call. An occupied red Chevy that appeared damaged and contained two people was parked in the rear of the parking lot. Officer Parillo, who was the primary officer dispatched, noted that the registered owner of the vehicle, Casey Nelson, 26, had a hold without bail warrant for her arrest. Barlow observed the vehicle and that it appeared to be lived in and was running. Nelson stated that she and her boyfriend were currently homeless and that they have been sleeping in the vehicle. The vehicle was secured in the lot, and Nelson was taken into custody for the warrant. The officer observed several folding knives in the front passenger seat and asked the male occupant to step from the vehicle. A pat search produced a wallet with an Arizona driver’s license for Stephen Rogers, 33. The license was checked through RI DMV. Rogers had a bench warrant for failure to appear on a larceny charge, with the original arresting agency being the Richmond Police Department. Rogers and Nelson were transported to Warwick Police Headquarters. Both were processed and later transported to Kent County Courthouse, Nelson for arraignment and Rogers for handling of his court matters.


A woman who appeared to be sleeping in her vehicle as her car slowly rolled through the intersection of Post and Airport Roads was arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence.

Officer Randy Francis was working a detail at the IHOP restaurant at 1800 Post Road on December 31 around 2 a.m. when he was alerted by a patron that there appeared to be an impaired driver operating on Airport Road. The patron said the operator was driving a silver vehicle, which was now at the intersection of Airport Road and Post Road, and appeared to be sleeping and was not moving.

After he exited the restaurant, Officer Francis observed the silver vehicle at the intersection attempting to make a right hand turn on Post Road. While the car was at the intersection, the officer observed the car had a green light to make a right hand turn, but it did not do so and was moving forward at a slow rate of speed.

Officer Francis walked across Airport Road and made contact with the driver, who was slouched over to her right and appeared asleep. As the vehicle was still moving, the patrolman attempted to open the door but it was locked. He then knocked on the window to wake the driver, and when she awoke he ordered her to stop the vehicle.

The operator, later identified as Mary Lee Plant, 53, of 75 Lenox Avenue, Apt. 1, West Warwick, appeared to be sluggish and lacked motor skills. According to the report, Plant unlocked the door and Officer Francis immediately opened it and placed the vehicle in park. He then advised dispatch of the situation and requested immediate assistance as the car was parked in the intersection and was a safety concern. Officer Francis also immediately detected the smell of alcohol coming from Plant.

Officers Smith and Greene then arrived on scene and took over the investigation as Officer Francis moved the car to a nearby lot. Officer Smith asked Plant where she was coming from, and she stated that she had just dropped a friend off in Warwick and was driving home. She stated that she had consumed one and a half mixed drinks of Captain Morgan and Coca Cola. Officer Smith noted that Plant’s eyes were bloodshot and watery and her speech was slurred. She also had difficulty standing and needed assistance as to not fall over.

Plant agreed to partake in a series of standardized sobriety tests, which she agreed to. Based on the officers’ experiences and observations and her performance during the tests, it was determined that Plant was unfit to operate a motor vehicle. She was arrested and transported to police headquarters, and her car was towed.

Plant agreed to submit to a chemical breathalyzer test at the station, which resulted in blood alcohol content readings of .157 and .153. She was charged with driving under the influence, first offense, and a citation for prohibited parking in an intersection. Later that morning, she was provided with transportation to her residence.


A Richmond Drive resident recently found that their snow blower had been stolen.

Officer Jill Marshall met with the resident on December 29 around 12:47 p.m., who stated that he had last seen the snow blower on December 28. After returning from a doctor’s appointment on the 29th at approximately 11 a.m., he noticed that the gate to his backyard was open. He then surveyed his yard to find the blower missing and the black tarp that was covering it was laid on the ground near his shed.

Described as an Ariens snow blower valued at $600, the victim stated he bought the blower four years ago and that he had done some upgrades to it.

Currently, there are no suspects or witnesses.


Officer Mitchel Voyer responded to the J.C. Penney at Warwick Mall on December 30 around 4:30 p.m. for a report of a subject in custody by Loss Prevention.

Arriving on scene, Officer Voyer met with a member of the Loss Prevention team, who stated that James Miller, 33, of 7233 Post Road in North Kingstown, had made a fraudulent return. According to the report, Miller selected two sets of sheets and then stood in line to return them, having never paid for them. Miller had no receipt for the goods, but the return was processed and Miller was given a merchandise voucher for $58.58. He was then approached by Loss Prevention, who was monitoring the situation, and detained. The store informed the officer that they wished to press charges.

Miller was arrested and transported to police headquarters, where he was processed. He received a court summons for one count of obtaining money by false pretenses. He was also given a one-year no trespass order for Warwick Mall.


On January 1 at 4:24 a.m., Officer Christopher Cote, along with Officer Lancaster, were dispatched to the Shell Gas Station on Greenwich Avenue for a report of a male passed out in his vehicle at a gas pump.

At the scene the officers observed a red Hyundai with a man in the front seat unconscious. Officer Cote woke the man, identified as Desmond Bynum, 27, of 575 Dyer Avenue, Apt. G131 in Cranston, and asked him for identification. Background checks revealed that Bynum had an outstanding arrest warrant from the Pawtucket Police Department for a violation of a no contact order.

Bynum was arrested and transported to police headquarters, where he was fingerprinted and photographed. His car was towed form the gas station, and Bynum was later released to the custody of the Pawtucket Police Department.


At approximately 6:36 p.m. on December 23, Officer John Zaborski was notified by Officer Timothy Kenyon that there was a shoplifting in progress at the Post Road Walmart.

When Officer Zaborski arrived on scene, Officer Kenyon advised that a white male wearing a black baseball cap, a large black coat, white t-shirt, jeans with red stripes carrying a black messenger bag was selecting merchandise and concealing them in the bag he was carrying.

Officer Kenyon watched the suspect, identified as Jason Newhouse, 37, of 64 Taft Street in Cranston, conceal additional items in his jacket and front pockets, through surveillance video with members of the store’s loss prevention team.

Newhouse was then seen exiting through the garden exit of the store passing all points of sale without making any attempts to pay. Once outside, he was taken into custody, placed in handcuffs, and escorted back to the Loss Prevention office. There, 16 items, ranging from earphones to BB guns, valued at $550.85, was recovered.

A background check of Newhouse revealed there were no prior arrest records for him. He was given a summons for shoplifting with a mandatory Third District Court date. He was then released at the scene.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment