Police Log - 11/6/18

Posted 11/6/18

DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE On October 26 at approximately 12:44 a.m., Sergeant Randy Francis along with Officer Christopher Gillis were on an impaired driver detail and traveling east on Airport Road when they observed a vehicle traveling west at a high

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Police Log - 11/6/18



On October 26 at approximately 12:44 a.m., Sergeant Randy Francis along with Officer Christopher Gillis were on an impaired driver detail and traveling east on Airport Road when they observed a vehicle traveling west at a high rate of speed. The police cruiser was equipped with a forward facing radar, which registered the car as traveling at 52 miles per hour in a 35 mile per hour zone. The officers conducted a U-turn and caught up with the suspect vehicle, which had made a right turn onto Warwick Avenue, before making a sharp left turn onto Magnolia Avenue. A traffic stop was then initiated. Contact was made with the driver, later identified as Gregory Simoneau, 35, of 37 Meadow Drive in West Warwick.

Simoneau allegedly stated that he was coming from Pawtucket where he was playing a corn hole game, a board game often associated with alcohol consumption. Sergeant Frances observed signs of intoxication, as well as a strong odor of alcohol emanating from Simoneau’s breath. When asked if he had consumed any alcohol that evening, Simoneau reportedly said he had drank some beers. He was then asked to step from his vehicle and consented to take a series of standardized field sobriety tests.

Based upon the speeding violation, Simoneau admitting to consuming alcohol and his poor performance during the sobriety tests, Sergeant Francis believed Simoneau to be under the influence of intoxicating beverages and unfit to operate a motor vehicle safely. He was then taken into custody and transported to police headquarters. At the station he refused to take a chemical breathalyzer test.

Simoneau was charged with driving under the influence, refusal to submit to a chemical test, and speeding in excess of 11 miles above the speed limit. He was later released to a sober adult.

***** Officer Ben Bratco was driving south on Warwick Avenue on October 27 at approximately 1:13 a.m. when he observed a silver Ford F150 cross both driver’s side wheels into oncoming traffic. Officer Bratco then followed the truck as it turned onto Airport Road, and using radar observed the vehicle to be traveling 43 miles per hour in a 35 mile per hour zone. A traffic stop was then initiated in the area of Airport Road and Loveday Street.

Contact was then made with the driver, identified as Michael Poulin, 56, of 331 Rocky Hill Road in North Scituate. Upon speaking with Poulin, the officer reported detecting signs of intoxication along with the smell of alcohol. When asked where he was coming from, Poulin said he was coming from home and going to IHOP. He allegedly said that he had not been drinking that evening. Poulin provided registration but was unable to produce a license. A background check later revealed that his license was suspended.

Poulin was asked to exit the truck, which he did. He was then asked to consent to a series of sobriety tests, to which he stated no. He was then taken into custody and transported to police headquarters to continue with a DUI investigation. At the station, he refused to take a chemical breathalyzer test. He was issued a citation for driving under the influence, second offense, refusing to submit to a chemical breathalyzer test, second violation in three years, driving on a suspended license, speeding, and laned roadway violations. He was held pending arraignment.


On October 25 just after 5 p.m., Officer Brian Murray was dispatched to Macy’s for a report of a past shoplifter. There he met with a loss prevention officer, who stated that on October 24 around 7 p.m. a male suspect entered the store, who was described as being a light skinned man wearing a Yankees baseball cap. He proceeded to the men’s polo area and selected two Alpine Polo jackets priced at $498 each. He then removed the jackets from hangers, placed them over his arm, and then exited the store.

A customer told the loss prevention officer that she witnessed a white Yukon Denali XL waiting for the man. A CD of the incident was provided to the officer for the report.


At approximately 2:50 p.m. on October 27, officers were dispatched to the Warwick Mall for a shoplifting in progress at the Macy’s store.

Officer Russell Brown arrived on scene after the officers were advised that the subject had exited the store, was being confronted and was not being cooperative. Officer Brown observed approximately five mall security officers and a suspect, identified as Louis Medico, 32, of 435 Beverage Hill Road in Pawtucket. The officer made contact with Medico, who immediately stated he did not steal anything and all of the clothes that he had with him were his. Medico was then secured in the rear of the cruiser, transported to the Macy’s store and escorted inside the loss prevention office.

While inside the officer observed numerous items that Medico was wearing that still had tags and stickers affixed to them. He stated that the items belonged to him and that his mother had just bought the clothing at Marshalls. When asked why he was still wearing them with tags he allegedly stated that he just threw them on.

A loss prevention officer told Officer Brown that Medico was observed entering the store with another man, then entered a fitting room with multiple articles of clothing that he had taken off of racks in the store. He then reportedly exited the fitting room without the clothes in hand and wearing some of them. He then passed all points of sale and exited the store. Recovered in the loss prevention office were seven Polo thermal shirts, two Tommy Hilfiger briefs, a men’s Adidas hoodie and a pair on Nike sweatpants, valued at a total of $300.

Medico was placed into handcuffs and transported to police headquarters. A background check revealed that he had a prior shoplifting arrest, and as such he was charged with felony shoplifting. He was then held for arraignment.


Officer Kyle Fitzsimmons was dispatched to the 1200 area of Jefferson Boulevard on October 26 around 10:45 for a report of stolen vehicle parts. At the scene he met with the reporting party, who stated that they had parked a white Ford box truck around 2:30 p.m. the previous day. When he returned to the vehicle he started it and noticed the exhaust was extremely loud. He then checked underneath the vehicle to find that part of the exhaust had been cut out.

Officer Fitzsimmons observed that approximately three feet of exhaust had been cut out and that the catalytic converter was missing. A check of the surrounding buildings for cameras was negative and there were no witnesses to the incident.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment