Police Log - 11/29/18

Posted 11/29/18

FLEEING SCENE OF ACCIDENT On Nov. 23 at 11:42 a.m., Officer Christian Vargas was dispatched to Sandpond and Puritan Drive for the report of a two-car accident. Upon arrival, Officer Vargas made contact with the operator of one of the vehicles, identified

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Police Log - 11/29/18



On Nov. 23 at 11:42 a.m., Officer Christian Vargas was dispatched to Sandpond and Puritan Drive for the report of a two-car accident. Upon arrival, Officer Vargas made contact with the operator of one of the vehicles, identified as Edward Ethier, who said that the other vehicle involved in the accident “just took off.”

The vehicle was described as a silver Nissan. Ethier provided plate information and Officer Vargas was able to determine the vehicle in question was operating with a suspended registration under the ownership of Richard Santos Giron, 22, of 125 Wallace St. in Providence. Officer Vargas was able to locate the vehicle as it turned onto Rt. 10 and initiated a traffic stop.

Santos Giron said he had been making a payment at the Balise car dealership when he got into a “little accident” and “got scared and left.” Santos Giron was charged with one count of Duty to Stop – accident resulting in damage. He was also issued citations for failure to yield to a stop sign and operating a vehicle with a suspended registration. He was transported to 3rd District Court, where he was held as a bail violator.


On Nov. 17 at 4:21, Officer James Wenneman was dispatched to Murhpy’s Petroleum on Warwick Avenue for the report of gas evasion. The gas attendant told Officer Wenneman that a young African-American male pulled up to the pumps in a red Dodge Challenger to fill the tank. After filling up, the suspect told the attendant he had to look for his wallet. He then went to the trunk as he continued searching. Another car then pulled up for gas, at which point the attendant left to attend to them. The suspect proceeded to get in the car and pulled out of the station, traveling north on Warwick Avenue.

The attendant said that the suspect fled without paying for $65 in gas, and that the car had Tennessee plates. He wished to press charges if the vehicle and suspect were identified.


On Nov. 16 at approximately 8:29 p.m., Officer Anthony D’Abrosca was dispatched to Macy’s on Bald Hill Road for the report of a past shoplifting. Upon arrival, Officer D’Abrosca met with the loss prevention associate, who explained that earlier in the evening, at around 7:50 p.m., he had received a call from another store employee about a subject who had ran out of the store with an armful of merchandise, causing the theft alarm to go off.

CCTV footage showed a suspect, described by the loss prevention associate as a tall, dark-skinned male, possibly in his late 20s, entering at 7:49 p.m. and entering the jeans section, where 20 seconds later, the suspect ran out the north doors with an armload of jeans. It was estimated that 20 pairs of men’s jeans were taken, valued at $59.50 each, for a total theft of $1,190. Macy’s wishes to have the suspect charged and no trespassed if caught, and would also seek restitution.


On Nov. 20 at approximately 10:48 p.m., Officer Ali Jaafar was traveling on Greenwich Avenue for an unrelated call when he was advised through dispatch of an erratic operator traveling north on the same road. It was reported the vehicle was swerving in and out of the lane and striking the curbing, and possibly had a flat tire. Officer Jaafar was able to locate the vehicle and followed behind it, noticing the swerving and that one of the tires was indeed slashed and flat.

Officer Jaafar conducted a traffic stop and met with the operator, identified as Julie Durning, 46, of 226 Mann School Road in Smithfield. She was weeping with her face in her hands and had a flushed red face. Officer Jaafar could detect a slight odor of alcohol, and observed Durning to have bloodshot eyes and slurred, mumbling speech. After exiting the car and speaking with her, the odor of alcohol became much more pronounced.

After conducting field sobriety tests, it was determined that Durning was not fit to operate a motor vehicle. She was read her rights and placed in handcuffs and transported to Warwick Police Headquarters, where she refused a breathalyzer test. She was charged with DUI, second offense, B.A.C. unknown, and issued a summons for driving on a suspended license, third offense. She received citations for refusing to submit to a chemical breath test, operating on a suspended registration and laned roadway violations. Unable to contact a sober adult, Durning was turned over to Kent County Memorial Hospital.

During the processing, Durning reportedly said, “Warwick PD always [expletive]’s me. The last time I had my foot up for 27 seconds and they still arrested me.” When Officer Jaafar said he was not present at her last arrest and was concerned with the current situation, she said, “Yeah I know. I’ll admit it, this time I was drunk. You got me. But the last time, I wasn’t.”


On Nov. 21, Officer Aaron Steere was traveling south on I-95 south of Exit 10 when he observed headlights in his rearview mirror approaching his patrol vehicle at a high rate of speed. The vehicle entered the far-left lane and passed Officer Steere at high speed. The vehicle then made several unsafe and erratic lane changes without using a turn signal, passing several vehicles.  

Officer Steere pursued the vehicle and eventually initiated a traffic stop after observing more lane violations from the vehicle. He made contact with the operator, identified as Joshua Monaghan, 19, of 72 Hunters Run in North Providence, who was unable to provide his driver’s license when asked. Officer Steere detected the odor of marijuana and a slight odor of alcohol coming from the vehicle, prompting him to put Monaghan through a series of field sobriety tests.

Officer Steere observed clues of intoxication during the walk and turn test, as well as the one leg stand test. When asked where he was coming from, Monaghan said he was coming from Wachusett Mountain from a snowboarding trip. He was asked what time he thought it was, and was off by several hours. Officer Steere, based on his observations and the strong odor of marijuana, found the driver to be unfit to operate a motor vehicle. He was placed into hand restraints and transported to Kent Hospital, where Monaghan refused to submit to a chemical blood test. He was brought to police headquarters, processed and released with a summons for operating a motor vehicle under the influence of intoxicating beverages or DUI, with a January court date. He was also issued a summons for refusing to submit to a chemical test and possession of marijuana, based on the fact that 20 grams of marijuana was found in the center console of the car.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment